Thursday, January 29, 2009

Camo and Motion

A lot of people have been talking about what is the best camo pattern to use and whether or not it is really a camo pattern issue or a movement issue. In my opinion, it is both. however, I still think movement is the key. If you can remain still, then you can wear almost any article of clothing and kill coyotes. If you move, I believe it is better to have a camouflage pattern that helps hide your movement. This is why I like lighter patterns. If you are trying to be a rock, then you cannot move. Rocks don't move. CRP in the wind moves, so this is not likely to cause a coyote to run away...for the most part. It really depends on the amount and type of movement. That being said, the right pattern for your area is the right pattern for your area. I get annoyed at the in-fighting that goes on about what pattern is the best. There is no one pattern that will work best. It is a question of the pattern that works best for your situation and your hunting style. Some patterns make me look like a dark blob at moderate distances. This is okay if you are hunting rimrocks or something similar. If you are out in a wheat field, a dark blob may not be beneficial. I hunt the lighter colored agricultural lands. This means that I need something lighter in color and something that breaks up my outline. You may have something that works well for your area. However, be careful when you suggest that pattern to someone else. It may not work well for them.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you prepare your hides after the skinning process?Do you sell your hides and what is needed to do so? I'm new to this and I want to hit the ground running. Who could you sell to and do you need a furharvesting license to do it. In Kansas it is leagal to hunt coyotes with only a hunting license. Any information would be great. Nice blog.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Dr. Charles R. Shawley said...

After you skin, you have two options depending on what you want to do withthe hide. If you want to sell the hide at auction, then the process is: flesh, stretch, and dry. If you are going to tan the hide yourself, the process is different: flesh, salt, brine, dry, tanning agent, dry, fluff, break. My free e-book on my other site has this process outlined in detail. I suggest looking at that chapter. Some states require a transporting/fur agent license for selling furs. Some states do not. Some states do not require any special license for coyote hunting, while some states do. I am a little behind for this season. I have 5 coyote hides in the freezer right now waiting to be fleshed.

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What type of scope do you recommend? What do you think about a 3-9•50?

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to get a Stevens 200 in .223. With a nikko sterling or a bushnell, 3-9•50. I'm just a broke kid so I don't want to spend over $500.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Dr. Charles R. Shawley said...

I cannot specifically recommend a scope since I use whatever is available. I have had luck finding inexpensive scopes that have held their zero for a long time. You can probably find a Hammers scope for less than $130 that will be everything you want and more.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home